Trying to incorporate sustainable event practices into your meetings or organization? Take a hint from American football. Yes, football.
While you know your goal is to be as green as possible, it is a long way to the end zone. Here is a little advice straight from the coach’s handbook…
- Concentrate on the next 10 yards. Without incremental wins along the way, you can’t reach the goal line.
- Use your special teams. Green teams filled with passionate individuals can often move things forward faster.
- When in doubt, punt. Sometimes the well-conceived plan just doesn’t work. Consider all of your options.
- Take time to huddle. After a burst of enthusiastic success, gathering together to celebrate and redefine your strategy may be in order.
- Every player is essential. No team can win without everyone’s full commitment in their area of expertise. Everyone in your organization should understand the sustainability initiatives and their role.
- The best defense is a good offense. By consistently working towards being a better corporate citizen, your organization will not be called upon to defend itself against questionable environmental or social practices.
Note: Football’s chest pounding, butt slapping, and Gatorade dumping…optional!