Crow Lake/Prairie Wind Offsets – Renewable Energy (South Dakota)
- Spans three counties in South Dakota and is the largest wind project in the United States owned solely by a cooperative. Has a capacity of 151.5 megawatts.
- Example of public sector and private sector partnership that provides positive local impact. The transition from fossil fuel energy generation to new renewable energy can directly reduce atmospheric carbon emissions.
Lancaster Landfill Gas to Energy – Pennsylvania
- Extraction of landfill gas from a municipal solid waste landfill, resulting in a net reduction of new greenhouse gas.
- Approximately 55% of 220 million tons of waste generated each year in the United States ends up in one of the over 3,500 landfills, the funding from carbon credits enables these landfills to reduce greenhouse gases for municipalities.
Great Bear Forest Carbon Project – Improved Forest Management Protocol, Canada
- Home to the largest intact coastal temperate rainforest remaining in the world.
- Ecosystem Based Management (EBM) approach that values the forest not as a source of lumber alone, but as a balanced system that sustains biodiversity and an enriched community.